More than 2,000 audits were conducted to ensure the accountability of our standards.
Since 1891, we have strived to maintain the highest standards for animal welfare and handling throughout our entire supply chain.
We have a commitment to unwavering animal welfare standards and environmental stewardship — not because someone is watching, but because it is the right thing to do.
To verify that our animal welfare requirements are being met, we conduct assessments and audits. In addition, we have several animal welfare committees in place to ensure the accountability of our standards.
Animal Welfare Principles
Our goal is to maintain the highest standards for animal welfare and handling throughout our entire supply chain.
To maintain our standards, we have developed the following principles:
- Every animal in our care will be provided a balanced and nutritious diet and water.
- A safe and humane environment will be furnished for every animal throughout its life, including minimizing stress, managing social needs and controlling temperature.
- Every facility will be properly maintained with the animals’ well-being in mind, including appropriate facilities and space and the utilization of compassionate, stress-reducing techniques during handling.
- Animals will be raised to be healthy and provided the best in medical care, including veterinary oversight and the identification of prompt treatment of sick animals. When medically necessary, we use antibiotics responsibly and focus on reducing the use of antibiotics that are important to human health.
- We will follow clearly documented humane procedures in the event an animal needs to be euthanized.
We developed our standards in conjunction with animal care experts, including renowned authorities on humane animal husbandry, to ensure that every animal is raised in a healthy environment and treated with the utmost care, respect and compassion throughout its entire life. Our network of family farms understands and shares these values.
Hormel Foods has a zero-tolerance policy toward the mistreatment of animals through abuse or neglect. We have strict requirements related to animal care, overseen by veterinarians, third-party experts and a team of animal welfare professionals at Hormel Foods. For more information about our standards and antibiotic stewardship efforts, please visit our corporate website.
Hog Quality Assurance Audits
Turkey Quality Assurance Audits
*National Turkey Federation